On January 13th 1796 John Anderson, founder of “Andersonian Institute” now Strathclyde University, died.
Born in Rosneath in Dunbartonshire, in 1756, Anderson graduated MA from the University of Glasgow in 1745. After working as a private tutor, he was appointed Professor of Oriental Languages at the University of Glasgow in December 1754. In 1757 he transferred to the Chair of Natural Philosophy, where he earned the nickname “Jolly Jack Phosphorus” from his students, he continued in this role until his death.
Anderson was an energetic character, who served as a soldier during the Jacobite rising in the 1740s; published academic texts on subjects including experimental physics and the use of field artillery; designed a cannon, which he presented to the French nation in 1791; and in 1772 installed Glasgow’s first lightning conductor on the College steeple. He was a friend of the University’s instrument maker,James Watt, and it was he that asked Watt to repair a steam engine, perhaps igniting Watt’s interest in the engines that made him famous. He was also an acquainted with Benjamin Franklin.
The Professor was also a quarrelsome guy who became heavily involved in the factional squabbling and costly litigation which plagued the University during the late 18th century. Embittered by the experience, he bequeathed his estate to found a new university in the city. Anderson’s Institution, one of the “ancestors” of the University of Strathclyde, was founded by his executors in 1796.
Originally the institution was called Anderson’s University but in 1877 it was obliged to dispense with the title ‘University’ as it lacked a royal warrant -it’s names included Anderson’s Institution, Anderson’s University and Anderson’s College. The Glasgow Mechanics’ Institution which was an offshoot from it, and more recently the two combined (with Allan Glen’s School) as the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College. . In 1887 this became an independently run institution, finally being absorbed by the University of Glasgow in 1947.Throughout its existence, Anderson’s was frequently styled as ‘the Andersonian’
The last pic is a Memorial to John Anderson and his grandfather, Ramshorn Cemetery, Glasgow, the old building is the University’s original home.